In Philadelphia, Share Our Strength's Taste of the Nation event brings together the area's top chefs and restaurants who donate their time, talent and passion to end childhood hunger in America. Along with a bounty of culinary delights, guests have the opportunity to sample select wines, specialty cocktails and premium beers.
Thanks to all who help us to ensure that no kid in America grows up hungry! The beneficiaries of Share Our Strength’s Taste of the Nation Philadelphia are Philabundance, The Food Trust, The Greater Philadelphia Coalition Against Hunger, and The Pennsylvania Hunger Action Center.
Can’t make it to the event, but still want to help?
Make a donation!
Restaurants are on board for our 2013 event, and they're some of Philadelphia's finest. Here's the mouth-watering list of participants for our SOLD-OUT event:
- 10 Arts Bistro & Lounge
- Alla Spina
- Bar Ferdinand
- Bistrot la Minette
- Brauhaus Schmitz
- Creekstone Farms (Chef Chair David Katz)
- El Camino Real
- Lacroix at the Rittenhouse
- McCrossen’s Tavern
- Red Owl Tavern
- South Philadelphia Tap Room
- Square 1682
- Vernick Food & Drink
Creekstone Farms, Cisco Brewers, Cutty Sark, Dunkin' Donuts Philly and
Local In-Kind Sponsors
Hotel Monaco Philadelphia and Independence Visitor Center
Please contact Linda Huss at email@example.com with sponsorship inquiries.
Who We Help
The Greater Philadelphia Coalition Against Hunger strives to build a community where all people have the food they need to lead healthy lives. Founded in 1996, the Coalition has helped more than 50,000 families in the Philadelphia region with food assistance through its SNAP (Food Stamp) Hotline, while educating the public and policymakers about responsible solutions that prevent people from going hungry. The Coalition also provides training and resources to more than 100 local food pantries and soup kitchens and organizes the annual Walk+Run Against Hunger, which raises much-needed funds to the area's leading hunger-relief agencies.
Philabundance serves low income residents at risk of hunger and malnutrition, of which 23% are children, by providing food through a network of agencies in the Delaware Valley. Their member agencies include food cupboards, shelter or residential programs, social service agencies, emergency kitchens, and neighborhood distribution programs who reach people in need. In 2010, they distributed 21 million pounds of food.
The Food Trust works to provide fresh, nutritious food in underserved communities, educate children and adults about choosing healthy foods, and to build healthy, sustainable communities where everyone has access to nutritious, affordable food. They provide nutrition education in approximately 90 Philadelphia-area schools and 33 recreation centers in the city, serving more than 50,000 youth. The Trust also conducts the Kindergarten Initiative, which teaches young children about healthy food and agriculture, and supports farm-to-school efforts throughout the Mid-Atlantic region. In addition, The Trust works to increase access to nutritious food in underserved communities, such as by operating a network of 30 farmers' markets in the Philadelphia area. With its partners, The Trust also manages the Pennsylvania Fresh Food Financing Initiative, which encourages supermarket development and other fresh food retail in underserved communities. Another Trust program, the Healthy Corner Store Initiative, works with urban youth and owners of corner stores to increase the capacity of small urban stores to stock and promote healthy products, including fresh produce.
The Pennsylvania Hunger Action Center works to end hunger and increase opportunities for all Pennsylvanians to meet their food needs with health and dignity. In existence for 30 years, the Center serves as an active voice to shape public food policy. The Center's efforts focus on advocacy, linking people to food, policy studies, news and alerts and anti-hunger networking.
2012 Press Releases
- Main Line Today: Taste of the Nation Hits Philly and Brings Main Line Flavor Along - April 27, 2012
- Drink Philly: Eat, Drink & Help Hungry Kids at Taste of the Nation, May 7 - April 26, 2012
- Examiner: Taste of the Nation Philadelphia & Share Our Strength's Wine & Food Event - April 23, 2012
- The Housewife Diaries: Taste of the Nation Philadelphia- April 13, 2012
- Grub Street; Share Our Strength Hosts 'No Kid Hungry Happy Hour' at Square 1682 - April 4, 2012
- Eater.com: Cheflanthropy
- Philly Homegrown Blog: Guide to Upcoming Foodie Events
- Phoodie.info: The New Taste of the Nation Chef Chair is... - February 9, 2012
- Uwishunu: Taste of the Nation Culinary Fundraiser, Set for May 7, Announces a Limited-Time Ticket Discount and a New Chef Chair, Kevin Sbraga - February 6, 2012
- PhillyChitChat: Taste of the Nation: It's Never Too Late to Post Is It - August 17, 2011
- The Whole Enchilada PR: Event Video - June 29, 2011
- Foodist Files: Philly's Top-Tier Tasting Event Aims to Leave No One Hungry - June 26, 2011
- upcomingevents.com Photo Gallery
- Grub Street: What You Missed at Last Night's Taste of the Nation - June 21, 2011
- Meal Ticket/Philadelphia City Paper: Photos from Taste of the Nation - June 21, 2011
- NBC 10! Show: Taste of the Nation Preview - June 20, 2011
- Downingtown Dish: Taste of the Nation Philadelphia's Culinary Fundraiser Returns on June 20 - June 18, 2011
- Foobooz: Taste of the Nation Set for Monday - June 17, 2011
- THE FEAST - June 7, 2011
- Zagat Philadelphia: Dine Out for Life and Taste of the Nation Hit Town - April 11, 2011
2011 Press Releases
- TON Philadelphia Belukus Release.pdf
- TON Philadelphia Pre-event Release.pdf
- TON Philadelphia 2011 Initial Release.pdf